Connect with us

9ja News

N864m FRAUD: Bala A. Mohammed, The Former Minister of FCT Is Remanded After He Was Arraigned By EFCC for Fraud

Published

on

EFCC Arraigned Former Minister of FCT, Bala A. Mohammed For N864 million Fraud and Other Corrupt Acts

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has arrested a former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory FCT, Bala A. Mohammed yesterday before Justice A. M. Talba of the Federal Capital Territory, High Court sitting in Gudu, Abuja, on a 6-count charge bordering on abuse of office, false declaration of assets and fraud to the tune of N864million.

While Ex-minister Bala was still in office as minister, he allegedly received N550million as bribe from the Aso Savings and Loans Limited for some properties in the Asokoro area of Abuja.
He is said to have corruptly abused his position as Board Chairman of Aso
Savings by allocating four numbers fully detached duplexes and 11 numbers semi-detached duplexes valued at N314million through the Presidential Taskforce on Sale of Governments Houses, to himself.

He is also accused of making false declaration of his assets. Count one of the charge reads:

    “That you, Bala A. Mohammed, while being the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, sometime in 2014 in Abuja within the Judicial Division of the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory did accept gratification of a house worth N550, 000,000 (Five Hundred and Fifty Million Naira) only situated at No. 2599 & 2600 Cadastral Zone A04 Asokoro District, Abuja from Aso Savings & Loans Plc as reward for performing your official duties and you thereby committed an offence contrary to Section 18 (b) of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Act 2000 and punishable under Section 18 (d) of the same Act.”

The defendant begged not guilty of the charge. In view of his plea, counsel to EFCC, asked the court to fix a date for trial and remand the defendant in prison custody. However, Bala’s counsel, Chris Uche, SAN, informed the court of a pending bail application dated May 5, 2017 and urged the court to
grant his prayers.

Justice Talba ordered the defendant to be remanded in prison custody pending the determination of the bail application, while adjourning to May 12 for ruling on the application.

1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. noreply@blogger.com'

    Blogger

    January 6, 2018 at 1:12 am

    eToro is the ultimate forex trading platform for beginning and professional traders.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

9ja News

#EndSARS: Nigeria Senate Begins Investigations About the Alleged Human Rights Abuses

Published

on

#EndSARS: Senates Begins Investigation on SARS for Human Rights Abuses

The Nigerian Senates had on Tuesday ordered its Ad hoc Committee on Security to begin investigation on Special Anti-Robbery squad (SARS) of the Nigeria Police Force on the allegations of human rights abuses.

According to our source, the issue was raised by Senator Isa Misau from Bauchi during the senate plenary.

Senator Isa Misau said that the law, the highest investigative arm of the Nigerian police under the Police Act and regulation was the Force Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department (Force CID).

He said:

For effective and efficient administration, the department is divided into 14 sections for which the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) is one of them.

The squad is supposed to be a section in each state command, with sole responsibility of handling armed robbery cases and answerable to the commissioner for police.

I have in the last few months received petitions from my constituency, both online and physically, against SARS on violence from extra-judicial killing, brutality, torture, arrest, bribery and other menacing conduct by the men of the unit.

Misau added that some investigations had shown that the incidents were not isolated as many people had been sharing their experiences on social media. He said:

We are a civilised society. The majority of the Nigerian Police is manned by men and women of great integrity, discipline and commitment.

However, this unit is not one of them. It is dangerous for us to have a unit of the police force to act as if it is above the law and empowered to so behave.

The lawmaker encouraged other senate members to decide together and put an end to SARS in order to pave way for a more civilized unit that will be built around the rule of law and human rights observance.

I’m aware that in 2015, the then IG of Police, Solomon Arase, had due to incessant reports of abuses by the force, split SARS into two units with a view to check human rights abuses.

This indeed was by ensuring that officers cannot make arrest and investigate the same case.

Sen. Isa Misau added that the abuses had continued without any success regarding former Inspector General of Police decision to eliminate human rights abuses.
He said the Nigeria Police had a major obligation to ensure protection of human rights in all the states of the federation.

It therefore ought to prevent and investigate corruption as well as misconduct by law enforcement officers and provide accountability for the exercise of their powers.

I call on this chamber to mandate the ad hoc committee on security to investigate this issue of human rights abuses by SARS and make relevant recommendations.

The motion was also supported by Dino Melaye (APC-Kogi).

In his remarks, the President of the Senate, Bukola Saraki, said it was appropriate for the matter to be sent to the committee for consideration. He said:

It is clear that something wrong is going on and needs urgent attention. It is happening in all our constituents, and we must be seen to be responsive to some of these needs.

Continue Reading

9ja News

Nigerians Are Also Behind Slave Trade in Libya – Survivors

Published

on

Slave Trade in Libya: “Fellow Nigerians Are Also Behind Trading Nigeria’s Migrants As Slaves” – Survivors

Survivors of the slave trade in Libya who are returning back to Nigeria have said that their fellow Nigerians were also behind the trading of Nigeria’s migrants as slaves in Libya.

About 150 Nigerians who were mostly from Edo and Delta states who were returning home after they have been stranded in Libya told The PUNCH that they were sold by their fellow countrymen.

A survivor, Odion Saliu who is a 26-year-old lady from Edo State said that she was abducted initially by the Arabs and later abducted by a Nigerian, who then sold her. She said:

When I was kidnapped with others and held for some weeks, the Arabs asked if I wanted to be taken to a Nigerian and I readily said yes. I was very happy that I was going to someone from my country. But it was a lie.

The Nigerian they took me to locked me in a cell and told me to call my mother and ask for N60, 000. The man said he would sell me to a connection house if my family did not get the money. I called to inform my mother and the trafficker who facilitated my journey from Nigeria.

But the trafficker spoke with them on the phone and told them the amount they demanded was too small. They increased it to N200, 000. My mother paid into an account after they provided her with the account number over the phone.

The Nigerian said if I wanted to cross the sea, I had to pay him again. But when we got to the seaside, he sold me again.

Another survivor, Sunday Anyaegbunam, who left with his wife, said he was sold twice by Nigerians. He said, he had to pay a ransom to have himself and his wife released. He said:

We were made to contact our families on the phone and I had to ensure the payment of N400, 000 for my release and N300, 000 for my wife.

The Nigerians selling people in Libya are more wicked than many of the Arabs. I have never seen people so heartless as the Nigerians who bought and sold me.

There are many of them in Agadez and Sabha, who are making so much money from selling their own people. But there are other West Africans doing the business too.

When you approach them and say, “Please, my brother, help me.” They would tell you, “No brother in the jungle.”

In a report by The Citizen, the story is the same. Fotsi, a Cameroonian who left his country in search of greener pastures also fell into the hands of Nigerian slave merchants. He said:

There was torture like I’ve never seen. They hit you with wooden bats, with iron bars.

They hang you from the ceiling by (your) arms and legs and then throw you down to the floor. They swing you and throw you against the wall, over and over again, ten times.

They are not human beings. They are the devil personified.

Continue Reading

9ja Celebs

Former President, Goodluck Jonathan & Senator Ben Murray Bruce Congratulates Wizkid As He Won The “Best International Act” At 2017 MOBO Awards

Published

on

MOBO Awards 2017: Wizkid Received Congratulatory Messages From Former President Goodluck Jonathan and Sen. Ben Murray Bruce

Joy is celebrating joy in Nigeria and across Africa continent as our proud sons, Wizkid and Davido won two of the best Awards at 2017 MOBO Awards.

2017 MOBO Awards was a big night for Nigeria’s superstar singer Wizkid as he won the “Best International Act” and also, big record for Nigeria’s Entertainment Industry and to the world.

CHECK Out: Full List of Nominees At 2017 MOBO Awards – Click Here

At this 2017 MOBO Awards, Wizkid beat the likes of Drake, SZA, Cardi B, JAY-Z, Kendrick Lamar among others, to take home the award.

After the great achievement hit
And goes viral, Nigeria’s Former president, Goodluck Ebele Jonathan
congratulated Wizkid on Facebook saying the “win is a proud moment for Nigeria”.

Former President Goodluck Jonathan wrote:

When Nigeria does well, I cannot help but feel well. My happiness is tied to the happiness of Nigeria and when Nigerians break records and take the name of Nigeria to greater heights it exhilarates me. Thank you Wizkid for raising Nigeria’s flag high for the positive, not the negative. Your emergence as the Best International Act at the #MOBOAwards is a proud moment for Nigeria. And the fact that you emerged over JAY-Z and Drake makes it even more celebratory. WELL DONE. GEJ.

Also, The Chief Executive Officer of Silverbird and the Senator representing Bayelsa East Constituency, Senator Ben Murray Bruce also shared his congratulatory message via the Twitter. Read below:-

Dear @wizkidayo, I‘ve been in the entertainment business as an investor since 1980 and one of my proudest moments for Nigerian music is the day you defeated both Jayz and @Drake, two of the biggest stars in the world, to win the Best international Act at the #MOBOAwards well done.

Check out the full list of winners at the 2017 MOBO Awards here – (Click)

Continue Reading

Trending

Get Your Recharge Card Printing Software & Licence

CLICK HERE!
X