Welcome to another episode of practical business ideas in Nigeria. Today, we’re going to take a look into how you can start snail rearing business in Nigeria even, if you have little knowledge about farming 0r rearing livestock.
Are you interested to learn more about this biz?
I know you’re interested because that’s why you’re reading this blog post right now.
Even if you’re not interest to invest in this business right away, you can keep the knowledge and who knows, you might think of venturing into it one day — no knowledge is a waste.
I believe you know which type of animal we’re taking about? It’s a special animal with “no blood and bone”, slowest of them all, but nutritious than how it looks.
Snails are peculiar creatures, the business of heliciculture or simply, snail rearing business in Nigeria is quite a lucrative one. It lack competition unlike other business in the country that are saturated.
Investing some bucks on snail rearing business means more profit for those who are engaged into it. If you haven’t thought about it, I think it’s time you do so and take action before the market is saturated.
But you may be asking…..
How much do I need and the requirements to start snail rearing business in Nigeria?
To be frank and sincere with you, starting a snail farming business in Nigeria doesn’t require much capital, there are no special skills to learn, just your discipline and determination and you’re ready to go.
RECOMMENDED: Here’s how to Start Recharge Card Printing Business in Nigeria
You’re going need a small piece of suitable land—one with the right structure to support the everyday life of the snails. But note that, nails generally prefers humid environments, so the land you’d be getting should be well moisturized, not more not less, just moderate.
Aren’t there other businesses? Why Should I Start Snail Rearing Business?
Right now you may be thinking that;
There are many businesses in Nigeria to get my hands on, why would you tell me to start farming snails…..? Well before you put on your punching gloves, let me give you some reason why this biz is lucrative.
Benefits of Snail Rearing Business in Nigeria
- Nutritional Value: The nutritional value of the snail meat is quite good, it contains many vital nutrients (vitamins and minerals) needed for a healthy body, which is why its demand is constantly increasing.
- Manufacturing of Cosmetics Products: Asides the nutritional value, those in the cosmetic industry use snail in the manufacturing of some products, this should interest the women.
- Low Capital: Starting up this business wouldn’t create much hole in your pocket, it’s less capital intensive.
- No or Little Risk: Risks are reduced due to its highly marketable nature of this creatures.
- No Bad Impact on Environment: Also you don’t get the usual environmental pollution that is usually seen in other agricultural businesses like poultry.
- No Special Treatment: You don’t need to pamper them like babies or take care of them just like hens. They eat normal grass or vegetables and they can survive any weather as long as it’s not fire.
- And many more benefits!
But here is a big secret:
Normally, animals need both the male and female folk in the reproduction process, and the female gives birth to the young ones by default. This form exist in almost all animals, but snails are hermaphrodites!
They’ve got both male and female reproductive organs—so both male and female do give birth.
How this will be of more benefit to you:
Let say you own a poultry farm with 100 chickens—50 hens and 50 cocks.
These hens lays two eggs each, after gestation you’re left with 200 chickens.
Not bad, but let’s see that of the snail—you have 100 snails, 50 males and 50 females. Since snails lay lots of eggs, let’s say each lays at least 50 eggs, you’ll be having 5000 eggs since both the male and female can give birth.
This will lead you making more money.
With this in place, you’ve seen what you stand to gain if you choose to venture into snail rearing business in Nigeria. With this background information I’ll be taking through steps to take to successfully start your snail farming business in Nigeria.
Step-by-step Guide to Start Snail Rearing Business in Nigeria
Getting a Land or Snail house
So you may be thinking should I go for a piece of land or snailery, the answer boil down to your pocket but it’s better to go for the more organic choice—a land.
Both still serve same purpose but the land option is more suitable if you find yourself in a rural environment, but snail are really good for those in urban areas.
Whichever option you wish to go for, soil is needed. Since snails like more of a humid environment, you may want to go for clay soil, I’m sorry, it’s too wet. I would rather suggest a soil with good amount of loamy and sandy soil.
Not all types of soil is good for snail rearing, suitable soil is a necessity due to the sensitive nature of this creature. And for the umpteenth time, it should be to dry (sandy) or too wet (clay), a much moderate soil will definitely give you results.
2. Getting your snails
With your land or snail house in place, getting your snails should be next and there are two basic way to do this. They are:
- Buy in bulk from the market or
- Get it from a nearby bush or farm (you could call this snail hunting!).
Which of the two ways should you go for?
Both ways are great but in getting the snails, quality should be in check. It’s a common practice to get snails during winter where there are more rains, the best of snails are found in this season.
If you can afford it, buying quality snails from the market sounds good but on the other hand, if you lack the finances, you could get your snails from a nearby farm or bush.
Which should you go for, the ones found in a farm are the best among the two categories and therefore it’s recommended by experts to start up first with the organic species in order to really succeed in snail rearing business in Nigeria.
3. Managing your snail
If you’ve gotten your snails, you on your way to make money from snail farming in Nigeria.
If appropriate care is put into consideration, you would make as much profit as you’d like to make. So caring for the snails is very important and increases their lifespan.
Here is how you can manage them:
- Sprinkling of water at regular intervals would be beneficial to the snails in the long run. In hot conditions, warm water should be used and vice versa.
- Food should be healthy, snail generally love vegetables and there are many available in the market. You feed them with other foods but note that foods with low pH value should be given in minuscule quantity.
- Also salty products should be avoided as there are dangerous to the life of a snail. Feeding your snails with salty foods could lead to the death of your livestock so keep away from it.
- Furthermore, foods with starch should be avoided so as to prevent digestive problems that may arise from taking them.
And when you notice that the snails are reproducing, try to expand their territory and of course, increase the amount of vegetables and water you are using to feed them.
4. Making Money from Snail Rearing Business in Nigeria
After taking care of the snails and you’re sure they are okay for consumption, it’s time you start making money from your efforts.
As I’ve said earlier, the demand is so much that you will never need to suffer yourself before you sell everything out.
But, that doesn’t mean you should fold your arms and expect sales – NO!
You’ll need to market them to those who really want them.
Who are those people to target?
- Restaurants: They use snails in preparing some delicacies, especially in a restaurant that deal with local food and/or continental food
- Palm Wine Joints: This is the best and first place you should target….. They are going to buy in bulks because palm-wine and soft meat like snails goes with each other.
- Market: There are tons of people who are looking for mature snails to buy, either for food or for another thing
- Herbal Doctors: They’re also refers to as “native doctors”. I’m not saying you should turn to their regular customers but, try to market to these people. They make sure of snail meat itself and the shell for local medicine which is why it’s hot demand
- Pedestrians: I believe you’ve seen people selling stuffs like rabbit, bush fowl and other animal along the road side? Snails can also be sold like that if you can stay beside safe highway. Those rich people love eating snails and of course, they’ll buy them any place, any-where.
- Event places: If you notice that they are holding a ceremony somewhere open (like field or public place), you can take your snails to the place and sell!
- And many other ways you can think of making money from snail rearing business in Nigeria.
But that’s not all…..
Don’t forget to invest back into the business. Don’t do it once and quit but keep investing.
These tips are recommended by experts for the optimal of a snail rearing business in Nigeria.
With proper care in place you would be able to harvest your snails in few months and begin your money making journey.
If you want to your own snail farm in Nigeria, the above tips would come in handy. The snail farming business in Nigeria is a very good one and I recommend it to you out there!
Kindly ask any question pertaining to this business or any other business you’ll like to venture to, and I’ll try my best to give you the proper business tips which are practicable.
Sharing is Caring
Please don’t forget to share the love with your friends!